bootloaders, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 18:24:02 UTC 2006

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 10:19 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> > Just an Idea/proposition:
> >
> > Have anyone looked at gfxboot ?
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> Are you referring to the pile of stuff that SuSE uses for generating
> their graphical menus in boot loaders?  If so, it ends up requiring an
> absolutely disgusting pile of patches that have been rejected at least
> by the upstream syslinux maintainer.

It does look like gfxboot is in about the same state as unionfs.  I.e. very
cool for proof of concept livecds, but with far less than rock-solid tried and
true  reputation.  I.e. definately something to play with, if you are so
inclined to suffer the headaches, but probably not yet ready for primetime.

The one thing that it does seem to offer over isolinux that I think is valuable
is a gui-ish boot entry selection mechanism.  Though it also offers animation
and sound support which is more than I find necessary, and probably why it's so
complex.  On that note however, it would seem the 3rd alternative would be the
beloved grub.  Apparently grub supports cd's, i.e.

http://snapplatform.org/snappix/home/?q=node/4

Does anybody have any experience or knowlege of issues with using grub instead
of isolinux (i.e. it's definately less tried and true in the cd-boot scenario,
but are there any explicity well known gotchas?)

-jdog