[Fedora-livecd-list] Pilgrim

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 4 20:35:21 UTC 2006

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Jasper has repeatedly stated that he is continuing to work on Kadischi.
> I asked him today and he confirmed that this is true.  Asserting that
> Kadischi is not being developed is a disservice to the community who is
> using it and the people that are maintaining it.

I meant in terms of roadmaps and development discussions happening here
but I wont argue about that. I have already stated that if its being
developed independently, it can be.

> The reason there are separate niches is that Kadischi is dead simple to
> use for one-offs while pilgrim is easier to use for developing more
> official livecds.
>
> If I'm a college student with a Fedora Core install set, I can create a
> custom livecd with Kadischi very easily.  It reuses anaconda, an
> interface that I have already been exposed to when I installed Fedora on
> the machine and is able to quickly create a livecd image for me.
>
> OTOH, if I'm spinning the official Fedora Livecd or otherwise want to
> create reproducible, scripted builds to which I can make incremental
> changes until I have something I'm ready to distribute, pilgrim makes a
> lot of sense.  It has a commandline oriented, edit-the-package-list to
> create an install mentality.

You are describing the current implementation as some sort of design
decision.

   Kadischi has scriptability through
> anaconda's kickstart which can serve this purpose but IMHO pilgrim's
> inheritable package lists are a nicer interface for people who haven't
> used kickstart before.

There is no fundamental reason any single tool cant be easy enough to
serve all the needs of Live CD users. I suspect the feature sets are
going to converge based on the needs of users.

Rahul