[Fedora-livecd-list] updated liveusb.sh

Fred J. Bourgeois, III FJB3 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 9 00:10:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:49:16 -0600, Chris & Melinda LaForce
<cdlaforc centurytel net> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 13:46 -0800, Fred J. Bourgeois, III wrote:
> > my current version at
> >     ftp://ftp.applios.net/pub/fjb/LiveUSB/liveusb.sh
> > Any feedback would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fred J. Bourgeois, III
>
> Fred,
>    I have been looking to try out the liveusb.sh script.  I
possible can
> you explain to me kind of how to use it including any pre
installation
> step that need to be preformed on the usb media(ie. formating,
> partitioning)
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris.

Hi Chris:

This script just creates an image (in a file) of a bootable USB
filesystem.  Jasper's original version required a few options on
the command line, but my changes set some very generic defaults
for those required options.  The main thing you need to be
prepared for is building your image in a partition that has
enough free disc space - about 1GB if you choose the default values.

Here is an example of how I run it (as root):
  liveusb.sh --root="/tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb.root"

After the script completes you will have an image file named
/tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb-final.image ... you will then write
this to your flashdrive via dd:
  dd if=/tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb-final.image of=/dev/Your-USB-Device

Typically, "Your-USB-Device" will look like a SCSI device, named
something like (but not necessarily exactly): /dev/sdc .

I hope that helps.
    -fjb

--
Fred J. Bourgeois, III