[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Core Ofiicial LiveCD and DVD media

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 18:05:28 UTC 2006

> >The problem is that for a live CD, you need to make changes to some of
> >the stuff that's installed and you definitely want to, eg, nuke the
> >rpmdb (because that's just wasted space).
> >
> >I really don't see this as a convincingly interesting use case.
> >
> This is very good for promoting new users to test drive Fedora and
> immediately follow up with a installation if it's deemed good. It's
> significantly easier to combine a live cd and a installation disk into
> one for a typical desktop installation with only default packages. No
> package selection whatsoever.  It would a nice plus in promoting Fedora
> in various LUG's or conferences. I will write up a detailed set of use
> cases if required but you might as well as trust me on this one ;-).

Realistically, the difficult part of installation is partitioning.  The
package selection can be made to the point where it's really not the
hard part.

And being able to get from something that's a live CD to a form that
makes sense on an on-disk filesystem is difficult and error-prone.  It
also means that you have to spend a lot of time maintaining yet another
code base to set all this stuff up.  I can write up a detailed list of
why it's bad, but you might as well trust me on this one ;-)

Jeremy