[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Jasper O'neal Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 13 15:31:52 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 01:26 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
>

>>An alternative to that (and I think both alternatives have their
>>usefulness) would be something which just does GUI partitioning, and
>>then installs the livecd system itself to the harddrive (mkfs's the
>>new partition, copies the squashfs contents, undoes the changes that
>>were made specifically for the livecd environment).
>>

>Doing this is an extremely bad and dangerous proposition.  There are way
>too many things that you can't really just "undo" from a live CD.  I've
>been through this before, I think even on this list...

Right. First of all it is SquashFS which is only appendable, not writeable.
Second, Fedora Core is too robust of an operating system to just "copy
the LiveCD to disk".
Fedora Core isn't *known* to be a LiveCD, it is known for it's
full-fledgedness.. so..
this warrants nothing less than a fully featured, as in with Anaconda,
harddrive installation.

J. Hartline