[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi Live CD First Look {SOLVED}

Jasper Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 18 21:33:37 UTC 2006

dexter wrote:

>hello list
>for the record my problems with kadischi are now sorted, I managed to spin
>the minimal kickstart config last nite ;-) from a rawhide mirror and it booted
>up!
>
>I was getting these errors during the initrd build:
>
>/usr/bin/find: kernel/drivers/cdrom: No such file or directory
>/usr/bin/find: kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.ko: No such file or directory
>
>After modifying kadischi.py to leave its workings around, I looked in the
>offending dir's to find no cdrom.ko or ide-cd.ko (surprised) I dont remember
>kernel_2054_FC5 having these built-in??  kernel_2129_FC5 is the same on
>another box I have, no CD modules are in place, so I gave kernel_2647.fc6
>rawhide a spin and the modules were found were they should be
>and hence a successfull build & boot.

The Fedora Core 5 kernels had these built in. The Fedora Core RAWHIDE
kernels do not.
They are modular, hence the messages, however this will not keep the
Fedora Core 5 CDs from booting.

>(whoo hoo)(sorry this a respectable
>list :-) gonna try some customisations next, its great to finally get a
>fedora live CD but I want liveusb & a toram option but not being a
>knowledgeable coder I may have to wait (or learn)

My website has a working 256MB USB flash image.. it is LiveUSB.
You would simply need to mount the Ext2 filesystem at it's offset to
view the handmade
initrd, and modules that were preloaded, etc. I use Kadischi's same
method of bind mounting on tmpfs, etc
just tweaked for LiveUSB.

One thing I cannot get done correctly, doing the LiveUSB stuff
automatically, by script is
grub-installing, or via the Grub shell.. installing the bootloader
images correctly.

I _have succeeded_ by using the Grub shell interactively and issuing this:
device (hd0) /dev/loop0
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit
Does in fact install them correctly. The offset for the LiveUSB image here:
http://autopsy.liveprojects.info/LIVE/USB/ is exactly 63 secotrs.
This means the mount -o option would be offset=32256 to mount the Ext2
filesystem.
Then you can poke around and see how I've done it, with stock Fedora
Core packages, unmodified.

J. Hartline