[Fedora-livecd-list] Targetting other file systems besides iso

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 19:10:49 UTC 2007

At OLPC we need to support ext3 and jffs2 builds even more so than
livecd isos.  Since most of the process is the same up until the final
image and bootloaders we would like to add this support into the livecd
tools so that all fedora projects use one toolchain.  The question is
how can this best be accomplished?

I think passing a --variant switch (i.e. --variant=jffs2) should switch
the backend to generating the correct image.  This also requires
template support and the ability to select templates to write out based
on the variant in the %post.  For instance the olpc.fth file is read in
by the openfirmware.  For jffs2 builds we point to the nand on the XO
machines.  For ext3 we point to a USB disk.  Also on ext3 we write out
grub entries for use with standard machines and vitalization software
like qemu.

What would be the best way to add this support to the livecd tools?