[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- mayflower flexibility enhancements

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Aug 13 17:13:26 UTC 2007

ashok shankar das wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> ashok shankar das wrote:

>>> I agree, Kickstart should not be the_ only_ file for configuration.
>>

>> Actually I sort of argued both sides of that coin.  And I ended up
>> changing my mind.  What sorts of option and configuration do you think
>> should not be in kickstart, but somewhere else?

>>> Why only LiveCD, think beyond the liveCD. Eg. Small systems can be
>>> fit on to a USBstick, Rescue systems, small network servers, small
>>> streamers etc...
>>

>> usbstick (especially with livecd-iso-to-disk) is really just an
>> alternate form of livecd.
>>
>> But yes, the changes I proposed to mayflower can also be used to
>> generate initramfss that are useful as rescue systems, and perhaps
>> even as entire-system-in-initramfs for small servers/routers.  I never
>> suggested it was useful for livecd only.

>>> It is a must have feature. But again this should be configurable.
>>> Currently Which I developed is doing a persistence at the time of
>>> instalation(again a bit hard coded).
>>

>> I'm still curious where this implementation you speak of that you
>> claim was posted to this list is.  Please repost or give a link to an
>> archive post.
>
> I have a very vague vison fo what to be separated. I think the target
> specific things should be on a separate file.
> from which the KS file can read and work acordingly. As an example the
> drivers which goes into the initrd are hard coded.

%post mayflower invocation

> Suppose i got a weired hardware which needs some special drivers then i
> am helpless in current scenario.

%post mayflower invocation

> why should be there a ISO-to-USB script?

because it's so blaringly obviously convenient and useful.  Especially
for people that downloaded the f7 livecd, want to boot from usb, and
have no interest in running livecd-creator or something similar on their
system.

This sort of configuration
> should go into separate config file too.
>
> Try using KS file only for the package instalation and post
> configuration of the installed system.
> Try to Implement a Config based image creation and target setup.

I'm still not seeing any example where its necessary.

> I can say this much at this time.

So what you're saying, is that you are waving your hands about this
alleged persistence implementation of yours, which offlist you claim has
already been posted to the list, but when asked to actually provide a
link to the post or the implementation, you've got nuthin.

-dmc