[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: livecd persistence

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 17 21:40:08 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Had a chance to look at cleaning up the patches any?  If not, I'll take
> a stab the first of next week as I really want to get the basic bits in
> for test2 :)

I've been waiting to put turboLiveInst to rest, as my approach may
involve devicemapper tricks, which I need to make sure you are
comfortable with reviewing before I waste any time implementing them.

Also, I need to make sure that this asdas at redhat.com person doesn't have
useful persistence code, which I would be wasting my time duplicating if
not necessary.

Lastly, wouldn't test2 require an approved feature?  I've been holding
off myself due to no feedback regarding the attached mail

-dmc

----

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Any progress on this front?  The F8 feature freeze is rapidly
approaching.

> If I don't hear back about this issue, I'll just solicit people who
have signed the CLA to put up a couple placeholder features, just so
they are in place before the freeze.

> 1) livecd persistence, as mentioned on fedora livecd wishlist
>
> 2) improve livecd boot speed dramatically

It was Luis Villa's last act before he left to draft changes to the CLA.
I'll find out what the status of those changes are -- and it seems that
counsel agreed to them.  Max, do you know where this stands?

--g

----

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I figured out the CLA issue.  I still haven't signed it.  I
hate legaleze.  Maybe you can clarify-  By signing that, and submitting
works via channels under that umbrella, am I giving RH a license to
modify my work, distribute those modifications to others, and not be
obliged (ala GPL) to submit modifications back to me?  Thats sort of
what it sounds like, i.e. that they get as many rights as the original
copyright holder (which would be those aforementioned rights).

>> I'm sure this has been talked to death on some mailinglist or FAQ,
any pointer to such a thread would be appreciated.

> You know, I'm not sure this particular reading has ever been
discussed.  I know that we want to make super-sure that (a) you actually
*have* the right to share code with us, and (b) you can't take your ball
and go home, and the CLA is structured to do that.

> I've never interpreted the CLA as giving us the right to take your
work, modify it, and not give the modifications back -- but yeah, on a
closer reading, that looks possible.  I'll check it out with legal.