[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: livecd persistence

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 17 23:03:10 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:

>> Ah, then I did not misunderstand what you were trying to say. There is
>> no need to get prior approval to work on cool stuff in Fedora. And a lot
>> of the cool stuff in Fedora 8 will just show up without being on any
>> approved feature lists.
>
> Still, I think it would be nice if LiveCD Persistence was on official
> feature, benefiting from that status and the related process.

Another reason why having LiveCD Persistence as an official feature is
quite important, is if it is already getting talked about as an official
feature.  It's possible that in this quote, Max is just talking about
traditional installation to external usb drive, but it's also
possible(?) he is talking about livecd persistence (certainly adding
dm-crypt to the base and or overlay images is not hard).

http://www.technetra.com/writings/archive/2007/07/01/face-to-face-with-max-spevack

"
Q: What is the vision for Fedora tomorrow?

Max: The two biggest goals for Fedora 7 were the live CD/live DVD stuff
which was something Fedora needed in order to be able to compete at the
same level as other distributions. So we've got that.

In Fedora 8 and 9, over the next year let's say, we want to make the
technology even better. For example, envision you take your whole
computer around on your USB key and you stick it into any laptop and
your desktop just appears. If you lose it, your data is encrypted, so
it's not as much of a catastrophe as it could be – at least your bank
account is not all over the world.
"

-dmc