[Fedora-livecd-list] boot failure on VIA Epia M-6000 board

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Mon Aug 27 04:26:13 UTC 2007

I've been trying to boot the F7 live-cd on a VIA Epia M-6000 (600Mhz
fan-less VIA C3 Eden processor). With the distributed live-cd
(Fedora-7-Live-i686.iso) the machine resets as soon as the kernel starts
(i.e right after the initrd is unpacked).

I built a custom i386 kernel with the VIA drivers and DMA turned off,
which got the kernel to boot. The problem I then have is that when init
should be executed, the system simply hangs and nothing happens. The
last line printed is "Freeing unused kernel memory".

I then built an entire livecd-fedora-minimal system from scratch and
still no joy (same problem where init doesn't run). I then replaced init
by a "hello world" program. If I statically link the hello world program
it happily prints "hello world", but if I dynamically link it it
doesn't. So it looks like /bin/bash (dynamically linked) doesn't run.

At this point I'm at the end of my fedora wisdom. I have previously
successfully booted a custom gentoo 2.6 kernel on this box, and the
ubuntu 6.06.1 system boots as well. I'd rather use fedora, though, and
would appreciate any suggestions either about what to try, or how to get
debug information about what fails when running a dyn linked executable.

Thanks!
Thorsten

NB: I was unsuccessful building the livecd-fedora-minimal system using
the provided kickstart. I had to add the following packages so that
livecd-creator could operate properly in the chrooted environment: nash,
cpio, gzip, findutils, and squashfs-tools.