[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming the size of LiveCD's

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 31 09:08:09 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a thought:
>>>
>>> 1304 random packages will install 724 MB of data in /usr/share/doc
>>>
>>> I'm sure there is /something/ to gain here. If every package on average
>>> installs ~0.5 MB of docs... Would it worth figuring out what docs should
>>> be on the LiveCD in the first place? I guess removing everything RPM
>>> calls docs is too much, as this will include man-pages as well.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> I think it is a bad idea, because many people uses the Live CD's to
>> install to their systems, and then they end up with a system
>> without doc files, with no easy way to get the docs back on the systems.
>>

> That's not true as anaconda needs the RPMs to install to a system,
> right? Last time I checked a LiveCD could not be installed "offline"
> because of this.

I think you really need to check again.  The current liveinst installer
(which uses the LiveCDCopy anaconda backend) does not need the rpms, it
just copies the ext3 filesystem image block for block from the livecd to
the disk.  i.e. all those threads in the past about the livecd installer
wiping the root partition, formatting the root partition twice, being
able to be sped up by 20+% with my turboLiveInst patch that jeremy is
afraid of, etc...

-dmc