[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming the size of LiveCD's

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Fri Aug 31 11:10:31 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a thought:
>>>
>>> 1304 random packages will install 724 MB of data in /usr/share/doc
>>>
>>> I'm sure there is /something/ to gain here. If every package on average
>>> installs ~0.5 MB of docs... Would it worth figuring out what docs
>>> should
>>> be on the LiveCD in the first place? I guess removing everything RPM
>>> calls docs is too much, as this will include man-pages as well.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> I think it is a bad idea, because many people uses the Live CD's to
>> install to their systems, and then they end up with a system
>> without doc files, with no easy way to get the docs back on the systems.
>
> That's really not such a hard thing to fix - the easy way to get
> things back after installation.

> It also relates to a feature I proposed a long time ago
>
> "yum spininstall"
>
> Which would be an easy way to take a livecd installed system, and
> presuming online access to good yum repos, trivially upgrade with one
> command to the type of default system that you would have gotten if
> you had installed from DVD instead of CD.
>
> I.e. I was really peeved that the man-pages rpm did not get installed
> (amonst many other subtle choices made in the name of space fitting).
> But I didn't want to waste time finding out the specific things I
> really wanted, when really I just wanted a "normal system" as defined
> by the choices made for the defaults selected on the
> non-space-constrained DVD spin.
>
> My theory was that you could take the package selections of the spins,
> wrap them in groups, such that with a single yum command, after
> installing from livecd, you could get all the packages that would have
> been installed from the traditional DVD spin.
>
> Likewise, if you got an itch to do ASIC design, and you had just
> installed the normal fedora desktop livecd spin, then you could do
> something like "yum spininstall FedoraElectronicLab".  (spininstall is
> just a random illustration, it could easily enough be wrapped into the
> existing groupinstall command).
>
> </steps off of soapbox for the evening>

I don't see how you can read the doc without downloading all the rpms
used to make the livecd and reinstall them.
The LiveCD installer is one of the power features of Fedora 7, i install
all my systems using the LiveCD's and use yum to add extra stuff after
the installation. I the doc are removed then all the system is crippled
and the feature is no longer very useful and that will be a shame.
So if someone creates livecd without docs, they should not be installable.

Tim