[Fedora-livecd-list] liveinst fails after resize of image

mdda Fedora.Nabble at PLATFORMedia.com
Sat Dec 8 07:28:07 UTC 2007

> What does the kickstart config you're using for the install look like?
My idea is to fix up everything, but let the user make changes - and I've
found a way to make it work.

First : The (unchanged) Kickstart file :
http://www.nabble.com/file/p14226119/eee-live-install.ks eee-live-install.ks

Some pertinent points :
* I'm forcing the install partition to be ext2 (the rumour is that this will
wear down the Eee's internal flash least)
* I found that the sizing of the (faked) partition within the ISO (at
4096Mb) was too large for the Eee's 3.8Gb flash drive - and that the
minsizing thing wasn't behaving somehow (my ISO-building machine is fully
yum updated).  So I fixed this hurdle by forcing the the size to (like)
2048Mb in livecd-creator.
* To be on the safe side, I commented out the call to
self._resizeRootfs(anaconda, wait) in _doFilesystemMangling (this may have
been overkill, but it occurred to me that 'resize2fs' wouldn't be happy
resizing a mounted ext2 partition, so that might be causing problems)
* Most significantly (?), since the writing of $SYSIMAGE/etc/fstab seemed to
be failing because $SYSIMAGE/etc wasn't there, I brute-forced the following
inside doPostInstall in /usr/lib/anaconda/livecd.py :

    def doPostInstall(self, anaconda):
        self._doFilesystemMangling(anaconda)

        # maybe heavy handed, but it'll do
        anaconda.id.bootloader.args.append("rhgb quiet")
        anaconda.id.desktop.setDefaultRunLevel(5)

### added vvv
        r = anaconda.id.fsset.getEntryByMountPoint("/")
        r.mount(anaconda.rootPath)
### added ^^^

        # now write out the "real" fstab and mtab
        anaconda.id.fsset.write(anaconda.rootPath)

This finally did the trick, and now everything writes and boots without
complaining.

Hopefully, somewhere in this hackery is a clue to what's actually messing
up.  I'm pretty sure there's a more subtle way of doing it - but anaconda is
a big machine, and I feel like I'm looking at it through a key-hole.

- Martin