[Fedora-livecd-list] liveinst fails after resize of image

mdda Fedora.Nabble at PLATFORMedia.com
Wed Dec 12 21:49:23 UTC 2007

Sorry it took so long for me to get to the bottom of this...

>> * I'm forcing the install partition to be ext2 (the rumour is that this
>> will
>> wear down the Eee's internal flash least)
> Is the partition on your live image ext2 also?  If not, then I can
> definitely see that leading to some of the weirdness you're describing.

Right - this is the main problem (and I'm amazed that just remounting an
ext3 raw image as ext2 seemed to work at all).

I had to rework livecd-creator to be able to create both ext3 and ext2
partitions.  Ideally, it should be a command-line option (since ext2 is
pretty important for flash drive installs).  Mayflower was also hard-wired
to expect an ext3 partition - so I've got an autodetector version.

It would be even cleaner if .../LiveOS/ext3fs.img were renamed
/LiveOS/ext3.img (otherwise the squashfs img should become
.../LiveOS/squashfsfs.img) - and I'm sure there was already a patch proposed
for this.

As it stands, I have to have special versions of livecd-creator and
mayflower embedded with my project, which is a pity.  But at least the
anaconda installer works unchanged, although I have to update
/usr/sbin/liveinst to accept command line parameters to pass to anaconda so
that I can pass a kickstart file.

Result : Now I've got a clean live image with one-click install onto an ext2
rootfs on the Eee's internal flash drive.  (But it has been a bit of a
struggle).

I'll check out the 4096Mb resizing thing separately.

Martin
:-)

PS: One alternative (to changing livecd-creator and mayflower) would be to
detect within liveinst whether the partition fstype of the source and the
target was the same - if it is, then do the current 8Mb-at-a-time copy,
otherwise do a more traditional file copy thing.