[Fedora-livecd-list] RHEL Live CD + Persistence?

Mike Dickson mdickson at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 20:29:12 UTC 2007

No.  I was spammed w/ the end-of-the quarter work and am picking this
back up now.

So, the options to get where we need to go are:

      * RHEL 5.x w/ JBoss Developer Studio (JBDS)  (This would best, but
        I don't think RHEL 5 can do LiveCD + Persistence.  JBDS includes
        license for RHEL 5.x)
      * F8 w/ JBoss Tools (Free solution for the community at large, but
        much more work for us.)
      * F8 w/ JBDS (Easiest path, but the OS is not the same one they
        are going to deploy on, but close enough?)

Which one of the combinations or all of them can we pull off?  Can we
get RHEL 5.x to do Live CD/DVD + Persistence?  What do you think?

Another question is, how do we update/patch JBDS if we have a read-only
Live CD image?  Can we apply the updates to the "persistence" part of
the thumb drive or are are we going to have to spin another LIve CD
image?

Q: Why do we need to do this?  A: Too many Java developers are using
Windoz to develop on and then deploying on Linux/Solaris/HPUX....  Given
that we have an Open Source OS, JVM, Application Server, DB, and
Development Environment, we can give them a really exciting "cool" way
to get their whole development environment on a thumb drive for very
little to no cost.  That way their development environment is the
same/similar too their deployment environment and they can use it at
home or on the road and have EVERYTHING they need wherever they are.

Who else could do this?  Nobody.  It's a big deal if we can get it done.

I will have to look up your script you sent me and start to get smart on
this.  Can I use a F8 Live CD/DVD to do this to a thumb drive, or am I
going to have to upgrade my laptop from FC6 to F8?

MikeD