[Fedora-livecd-list] Setting video resolution on boot up

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Thu Feb 8 18:28:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 09:14 -0800, Brian Levine wrote:
> I am attempting to run the Fedora Core LiveCD received with Fedora 6 and RHEL
> Bible book by wiley. I am assuming it is the same build although there is not
> much on the content of the CD to indicate which build or version.

The CD is not an official live CD from the Fedora project, because there
was no official live CD available when Fedora 6 was released. It was
built using Kadischi, from packages on the Fedora 6 release DVD. Fedora
project now recommends Pilgrim (livecd-creator), for making live CDs.

> The problem I am having (tested on 2 different intel desktops, older Dell 4100
> dimension and newer Lenovo 3000J) is that after the initial boot my monitor
> displays "Mode not supported H:68.8KHZ V:85.1HZ" and the display never comes
> back. I used the same monitor on both machines. The monitor is a MAG innovision
> Model #900P flatscreen.

By default, Kadischi used the vesa video driver.

> Has anyone come up with a workaround yet?

One thing you could try is to start the live CD in text mode (init 3).
>From the boot prompt, type "livecd 3". When you get the login prompt,
login as root (livecd is the password). Run system-config-display to
configure your video card. Then run startx and see what you get.
Remember the display settings for when you do a permanent install later.

> I've been able to successfully run the LiveCD on my Dell Lattitude laptop but I'm
> really trying to get a permanent install going on the above mentioned Dell Dimension
> tower. Please help, i don't want to have to haul my old CRT up from the basement and
> lose half my desk.

If you have a DVD drive, the DVD that comes with the book is the
official Fedora 6 DVD, so you should install from that. The CD lets you
do a network install (FTP, HTTP, NFS) by typing "linux" or "linux
askmethod". Descriptions in the book describe how to set up FC6 software
on a local server, which would probably be much faster than installing
over the Internet.

-- Chris Negus