[Fedora-livecd-list] What happens if I partition from a live cd?

Jasper Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 11 19:19:11 UTC 2007

Leslie Vincent wrote:
> I'm trying to modify some Linux labs for a class I'm teaching so that
> students can work from home on their non-Linux system using the Fedora
> 6 Zod live CD on their Windows-based PCs.
>
> One lab has them running fdisk to create a partition, though, and the
> last thing I want is to have them do something that's going to mess up
> their PCs.  Is there a way to have them play with running fdisk off
> the live CD without it affecting their PC's actual hard drives?
>
> I'd play with it myself but I'm at home and don't have access to a
> system that I'm willing to rebuild if I mess up my own hard drive!
>
> Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

The only thing I can think of by what you describe, is not actually
writing the changes, which is documented and is the 'w' option in the first
fdisk menu, otherwise you can probably use small 8MB or 16MB flash
disks, or simply nit run any fdisk commands at all which doesn't seem
like a solution.

The really only best way is to have a empty hard drive, and do fdisk
operations on it, providing you are writing changes.

J. Hartline