[Fedora-livecd-list] What happens if I partition from a live cd?

Joel Andres Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 19:02:50 UTC 2007

Jasper Hartline wrote:

>> Jane Dogalt wrote:
>>>

>>> Or you could create an empty file, associate it with a loop device, and
>>> partition that perhaps.
>>>
>>> -dmc/jdog
>>>
> This is perhaps a good idea I did not think of, when I think fdisk I
> simply think physical
> disks. This is what I would go for, this assumes I suppose learning
> how to create files with dd and
> mounting an arbitrary file to loop.
>
> Thanks jdog.
>
> --
I managed to use the fdisk command in the fedora liveCD.  Here is what I
did:

1.  su - (become root)
2. dd  count=2000 if=/dev/zero of=fileName (basically means to copy 2000
blocks from the zero device to the fileName,  The zero device simply
spits out \0 characters)
3. mkefs -T ext2 fileName (created a ext2 file system so I could easily
loop back mount it)
4. mount -o loop fileName /mount/path (mounted the file on the /mount/path)
5. fdisk /dev/loop0 (usually the loopback mount is located in
/dev/loop0,  you can find out where the mount was made with the `mount`
command)
6. have fdisk fun :)

I checked my original partitions and the process didn't affect them.
But I would test it first just to be sure :)
Im using the livecd in a vmware machine.

Regards
Joel.