[Fedora-livecd-list] patch, manifest changes

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 23:10:28 UTC 2007

--- Jane Dogalt <jdogalt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm... I'm not sure if we really want to do this unconditionally.
>
> > And
> > > given that we later can install from the live CD, is removing the
> > docs
> > > something we really want to do?
> >
> > It's stuff in /usr/share/doc and info pages. Are either of those
> > appropriate for a *Desktop* livecd?
>
> While I agree that ruthlessly nuking things like /usr/share/doc is a
> useful way to make your livecd image smaller, it seems like a bad
> thing
> to me for the case here.  In addition to Jeremy's point, I'll just
> throw in my anecdotal usage example-
>
> firefox file:///usr/share/doc/qemu-bla/index.html
>
> Is wanting to read the manual for the software you are using on a
> livecd something that "doesn't make sense for a *desktop* livecd".  I
> think the answer is no.  (but again, having several flags to
> livecd-creator to prune your target tree in typical ways (e.g. nuking
> usr/share/doc, or /var/lib/rpm) does seem useful to me for the
> general
> livecd generation case).

Another idea I've often kicked around, which may have already been
thoroughly discounted on other mailinglists is this-

Have rpms maintain a notion of-

* required files
* files that are nice to have
* files that might be useful to someone somewhere somtime

And when you install the rpm, you specify which of the 3 levels you
desire (or maybe rpm looks at how much disk space you have and decides
for you).  Along with easy tools to 'upgrade' yourself to a different
level with yum/rpm after the initial install.

I.e. the first level (required) would be with low memory embedded
systems in mind.

Another scenario where it comes in useful, is you do your install with
the full level, then later you run into a time when you are running out
of disk space and you need a simple solution, so you just run a command
to downgrade every package.

just a though...

-dmc/jdog