[Fedora-livecd-list] patch, manifest changes

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 17:17:10 UTC 2007

--- Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Jane Dogalt (jdogalt at yahoo.com) said:
> > IMO /usr/share/doc is where manuals are supposed to go.  Are you
> > suggesting they be binary encoded in the app for all applications?
> As
> > an anecdotal developer, I have plans on developing software which
> keeps
> > its documentation in html form under /usr/share/doc just like qemu,
> > because it just seems like the right packaging style choice.  Of
> course
> > I haven't yet read all the fedora packaging guidelines...
>
> If it's an actual help document that comes up on <F1> (or whatever),
> it should probably go in some portion of %{_datadir}.

I always thought it seemed nice if when you launched your help
documents in the app (with F1 or whatever) that that spawned

"htmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/myapp-version/index.html"

Thus if that were a packaging guideline, or even unspoken consensus,
then people would always have a consistent way to reach the
documentation.  (and embedded systems developers who were really tight
on memory requirements would have an easy way to nuke all the
documentation at once).

-dmc/jdog