[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd install usage case, was Re: How to compile c programs in fedora 7 KDE?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 19:35:22 UTC 2007

--- Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 15:02:45 Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > yum groupinstall Workstation (or Server or KDE-Workstation, etc...)
>
> yum grouplist
>
> Pick your groups and go.  We no longer have things defined like
> "Workstation"
> or "Server".

I guess that is sort of what I was criticizing.  My point was that I
didn't want to spend energy thinking and making choices.  Yes, I could
look at that list of a couple dozen things and ponder which of them I
want and which of them might get me the socket manpage (which as I look
at it now, doesn't seem at all obvious).  But what I really wanted was
to not have to think at all, and with one simple standard command, get
the system to be 'normal', or rather have all the little obscure things
that one would expect to be there in a simple DVD install (where for
FC6 I would just blindly check the 2 unchecked group options).

The key issue here is that fairly obscure decisions had to be made to
get the livecd to fit in 600MB, and it seems like it would save a lot
of people a lot of mental energy if there were a simple red button
which says "now that I have a network and plenty of disk space, please
undo all those fairly obscure decisions without making me waste time
thinking and choosing, and figuring out how to make those choices"

-dmc/jdog