[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi reached End Of Life

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Sun Jul 8 14:18:12 UTC 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> dexter wrote:
>> On Sun July 8 2007 11:54:44 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> What exactly are you trying to imply?
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>
>> Community lead projects should not exist for the sole purpose of getting
>> fedoraproject blessing, which is what happend here fedora picks
>> livecd-tools kadischi dies a slow deaf.
>
> There might be a number of tools for any particular purpose and we need to
> pick one that has active development behind it. Regardless of that, a project
> with no contributors is going to die a slow death anyway.

As the guy who first sponsored Kadischi as a Summer of Code project, I'd
like to thank all of the people who worked on Kadischi to make it as good
as it was.

Sometimes a project can be successful not just from a code perspective,
but from what it leads to.  Kadischi was the first draft of Live CD tools,
and was directly responsible for (a) the realization that we *badly
needed* some help from Red Hat hands; and (b) the notion that the Live CD
should be a turnkey experience, which led directly to Revisor.

Without Kadischi, and the people who worked on it, none of the rest would
have happened.  We wouldn't have a LiveCD creator, and we wouldn't have a
variety of Fedora 7 LiveCDs, and we wouldn't have Revisor.

>From my perspective, Kadischi was a dramatic success.  But now there's a
codebase that's better integrated into the whole Fedora build process, and
better maintained by people who can devote a lot of time to it.  So the
new codebase will be what lives on.  That's how open source is supposed to
work, isn't it?

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg