[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Jul 8 21:13:27 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

>>> In a similar vein, I would say that, perhaps this feature, which I'm
>>> just working on out of pure spite for "unnecessary reboots" will spark
>>> someone else's imagination, and use-cases will become more evident in
>>> the future.  Don't even get me started about seeing setroubleshoot
>>> suggesting that I reboot my system to fix a problem...
>>>

>> I'm sure there's /a/ use-case for this technical advancement. Besides
>> that, I'm all for any technical advancement -whether it has actual
>> use-cases or not.
>

> /The/ use case is simple.  It does what it does.  It is what it is.
> Whether or not it is well received once it is an available option,
> remains to be seen. Note, that it is trivial to enhance the existing
> patch such that things only happen differently than normal if you pass
> 'support_rebootless' on the kernel commandline.
>
> Also note that it is fairly trivial to add an option so that the user
> can chose whether to live-migrate the cdrom+ram_overlay onto the
> destination volume, or just the cdrom.  In the latter case, the user
> could still eject the cdrom when installation is complete and continue
> working in the live system, though on reboot it would forget all the
> live-session modifications and give you a fresh start.

Continuing this thought- if MarkMC's dm-snapshot-merging patch was in the
kernel, there could be a button in the live session, such that at any point
_long after_ the installation, the user could _opt_ to 'fold in' their
live-session modification.  (i.e. hitting the button triggers a
dm-snapshot-merge of the tmpfs overlay into the install-destination-drive).

-dmc/jdog