[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Jul 8 21:22:35 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Douglas McClendon wrote:

>> I'm sure there's /a/ use-case for this technical advancement. Besides
>> that, I'm all for any technical advancement -whether it has actual
>> use-cases or not.
>

> /The/ use case is simple.  It does what it does.  It is what it is.
> Whether or not it is well received once it is an available option,
> remains to be seen. Note, that it is trivial to enhance the existing
> patch such that things only happen differently than normal if you pass
> 'support_rebootless' on the kernel commandline.
>
> Also note that it is fairly trivial to add an option so that the user
> can chose whether to live-migrate the cdrom+ram_overlay onto the
> destination volume, or just the cdrom.  In the latter case, the user
> could still eject the cdrom when installation is complete and continue
> working in the live system, though on reboot it would forget all the
> live-session modifications and give you a fresh start.

A different continuation of this thought, is the modification to support the
iso-caching-to-disk functionality I described in my 2001 project.  Though now,
instead of vfat, use ntfs-3g.

I.e. do your live migration to a file on an ntfs partition, such that after the
migration

a) the user can eject the cdrom and use the cdrom drive for other reasons
b) the system will be much more responsive as data is pulled from the ntfs
rather than the cdrom
c) with a sufficiently modern (i.e. probably doesn't exist yet) version of grub
or loadlin, the live environment could be subsequently booted strait from ntfs,
without needing the original livecd.

-dmc/jdog