[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jul 11 20:35:27 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Elias Hunt wrote:
>> Douglas,
>>
>> Assuming that iso-caching-to-disk feature is implemented, would it be
>> easy to have the caching occur on an ext3 partition?

Note, it is even trivial to have an option of whether you want to migrate the
compressed squashfs base, or the uncompressed ext3fs base.  With the former, you
would still suffer from decompression during normal use, but the latter would
take much more disk space.

Live migration of the root fs is just so cool.  Almost makes me want to create a
fedora derivative where the root fs is _always_ an extra dm linear device layer,
so that at any point in the future, you can live migrate the root filesystem.
Use-case:  You have a hard disk failing in a truly mission critical system.
Now, you can live-migrate the root-fs to an external USB-drive, and then reboot
to remove the physically failed drive at your leisure.

Have I mentioned that I am a recent BS-CoE grad from KU actively seeking
employment-  http://douglas.mcclendon.org/resume

(may the mailinglist protocol lords forgive me, yet again ;)

-dmc