Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Elias Hunt wrote:
Perfect, I'll keep a watch out for anything traveling down the pipe.

If you would like, feel free to pester me directly for assistance
testing (when you get that far), and I'll happily spin some test CDs
based on our setup using any new/patched code and provide feedback.

Definitely. And to spam this list with yet more technical ideas... in this case specific to your use case...

The live snapshot device, normally located in ram, could also be live migrated to a different file on the cache-destination drive, such that changes to the root-fs from the live-session (i.e. /var/log/messages ....) don't eat up your ram.

Then, since you don't want changes to survive subsequent reboots, when rebooting from the livecd (or perhaps grub harddrive mbr), it would detect that the livecd's ext3 image file has already been cached to disk, and use it, but also utilize a fresh overlay file on the disk, so that no changes from the live-session are remembered.

(also, to correct/clarify myself yet again, I do realize that using lvm for rootfs is basically 'always using a dm linear device layer for the rootfs'. But as I said earlier, I'm not yet a power-user of lvm. And by limiting yourself to device-mapper, you can support the more general use case of non-lvm, OR lvm root filesystems)

-dmc

-E