[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jul 11 21:38:33 UTC 2007

Elias Hunt wrote:
> Perfect, I'll keep a watch out for anything traveling down the pipe.
>
> If you would like, feel free to pester me directly for assistance
> testing (when you get that far), and I'll happily spin some test CDs
> based on our setup using any new/patched code and provide feedback.

Definitely.  And to spam this list with yet more technical ideas...  in this
case specific to your use case...

The live snapshot device, normally located in ram, could also be live migrated
to a different file on the cache-destination drive, such that changes to the
root-fs from the live-session (i.e. /var/log/messages ....) don't eat up your ram.

Then, since you don't want changes to survive subsequent reboots, when rebooting
from the livecd (or perhaps grub harddrive mbr), it would detect that the
livecd's ext3 image file has already been cached to disk, and use it, but also
utilize a fresh overlay file on the disk, so that no changes from the
live-session are remembered.

(also, to correct/clarify myself yet again, I do realize that using lvm for
rootfs is basically 'always using a dm linear device layer for the rootfs'.  But
as I said earlier, I'm not yet a power-user of lvm.  And by limiting yourself to
device-mapper, you can support the more general use case of non-lvm, OR lvm root
filesystems)

-dmc