[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jul 16 21:30:12 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> On the Fedora LiveCD wiki's wishlist, is 'persistance' -
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD
>
> "
>     * Persistence; e.g. the ability to save livecd changes (e.g.
> installed software) to a USB stick instead of tmpfs
>     * LiveCD content + persistence all on a 1GB USB stick image
> "
>
> While I have plenty of ideas for this, and have vague memories of seeing
> other distributions do it, I'd like to get a feel for what the fedora
> community actually wants.  I.e. lets design this feature.  How should it
> work from the end user perspective?
>
> Also, there are a bazillion distros and livecds out there, if you happen
> to know of any that do this in a way that you like, please mention them.

The first feature requests that when booting some media that you can't
commit changes to, changes in tmpfs should be saved to a USB stick or
something similar that holds a filesystem that we /can/ commit to, so
that when you boot it again, you can roll-forward the changes from the
'tmpfs' on that medium and continue like it's a normal system. Does it
make sense?

The second just wants USB media like the LiveCD but with a real RW
filesystem.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip