[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist- what does it mean?

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Thu Jul 19 17:34:25 UTC 2007

Ideally, for me, there'd be a persistance configuration governing what is
persistant.  Examples:

1) User wants to carry their data with them but not install packages
2) Someone wants package persistance
3) Someone wants a way to do custom configuration and then lock it down

So, maybe you can do the following types of things:

* specify paths that are persistant
* specify whether those paths are modifiable (e.g. lock it down)
* specify package persistance

Maybe looking like this ... using a psuedo syntax that just hit me:

[persistant paths]
/home/user(rw)
/etc(r)

[persistant packages]
*

[persistant options]

I guess the config would have to exist as say /etc/persistance.conf and be
part of the persistant archive.  Then joe user could go in, and change the
/etc entry to (rw), reboot and then update a config file and then lock it
down again and reboot.

FWIW, this is somewhat similar to something I hacked together for a
customized Knoppix disk.

Timf Wood