[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jul 19 18:11:49 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Your preferred use case is certainly as valid or even moreso than the
>> one I presented.  But having both options seems ideal.  Also, there may
>> be an issue with usbflash data, and that in some instances it might be
>> better to have it be mostly preburned as squashfs, rather than treated
>> as a normal ext3fs.  I.e. the whole jffs2 thing.
>>

> Well, I'm not against anything here, I'm sorry if it looked that way. It
> just doesn't look like it's worth the effort to me personally.

Which is why I'm the one implementing it ;)

>> Personally I rather like the idea of having my personal core system on
>> read-only media, with just my homedir on flash.
>>

> Right, that makes sense. A home directory from flash would be nice, but
> it wouldn't be really 'system persistence' would it? yum install foo and
> yum remove bar will not have foo and will have bar after a reboot, right?
Actually, what I said was a bit confusing, and made it sound more like I was
going in the direction of what Don Vogt was saying that CentOS5-livecd did.  In
truth I really just meant doing the rootfs snapshot overlay as persistence, for
as you say full 'system persistence', just that in practice, the majority of it
would be used for my homedir.

OTOH, this is another situation of where I can see it possibly being useful
implementing both strategies, i.e. you can have the rootfs overlay on your
usbstick, and/or a specially named .tgz which will get automatically untarred to
/ upon boot if it exists.

I think I ought to be able to implement both by monday before the devel
freeze...  (he says ambitiously :)  I'm in the process of attempting to follow
the fedora8 feature proposal policy.  Right now I'm stuck at figuring out how to
make my first fedoraforum wiki page with the account I created last night.
(whenever I click the link 'create new page' it throws up an error saying 'you
are not allowed to edit this page'.  This is after logging on, on _my_ empty
user-homepage)

-dmc