[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist- what does it mean?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jul 19 18:22:48 UTC 2007

Tim Wood wrote:
> Ideally, for me, there'd be a persistance configuration governing what is
> persistant.  Examples:
>
> 1) User wants to carry their data with them but not install packages
> 2) Someone wants package persistance
> 3) Someone wants a way to do custom configuration and then lock it down
>

> So, maybe you can do the following types of things:
>
> * specify paths that are persistant
> * specify whether those paths are modifiable (e.g. lock it down)
> * specify package persistance

This is actually not as doable for fedora since it uses dm-snapshot overlay
rather than unionfs for its cow magic.

OTOH, it is doable utilizing the alternate persistence method that I just
alluded to in the reply to JvM I just sent.  The downside, is that unlike using
dm-snapshot overlay for persistence, implementing what you described would
require more user involvement.  I.e. if you go create a file in your homedir,
then yank the plug on the computer, you would lose the file.  Unlike with
dm-snapshot-overlay-persistence, in which the file would be there.

Admittedly, I've only given in 2-5 minutes of real thought, but I can't yet
think of any way to provide that fine grain level of control with
dm-snapshot-overlay as the persistence mechanism.

Though honestly I'm the sort of person that would say "hey, lets invite unionfs
back to the party for even more options" :)  (though not for fedora8
timeframe...  I'm not that crazy ;)

peace...

-dmc