[Fedora-livecd-list] Security LiveCD

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 6 00:48:10 UTC 2007

Luke Macken wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 10:42:34PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Luke Macken wrote:
>>> I started piecing together a Fedora Security LiveCD, designed for
>>> security auditing, penetration testing, and forensics.  See my blog
>>> post and the wiki page for more information:
>>>
>>>    http://lewk.org/blog/2007/03/04/security-livecd
>>>    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD
>>>
>>> {comments,suggestions,patches} welcome.
>> I read that pages and blog earlier. Excellent work. You seem to using a
>> relatively older version of Live CD tool. The newer versions use
>> kickstart for configuration. Same for pungi too.
>
> Interesting.  Where might I be able to find the latest version?  I simply
> followed the FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo[0], which pointed me to davidz's
> RH people page[1].

Jeremy Katz is working on it now. I have updated the how to page to
point out the new location. Also note that the latest version is written
in python and uses kickstart configuration files instead of the older
bash scripts. Jeremy, are you planning to put the tools in to the Fedora
repository?

> I've only played around a little bit with Backtrack[2], which
> contains a *ton* of tools, accessible menu entries for them, Save2CD
> support, John MPI instant cluster, among many other features.

I suspected we had a lot more tools to package. Might consider starting
a security SIG and posting to fedora-devel list with a list of packages
and stuff. See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs. What would be
more interesting is to look at what kind of configuration tweaks the
other Live CD's do.

Rahul