[Fedora-livecd-list] [liveUSB] liveCD to liveUSB installer

Noor noor.mubeen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:47:33 UTC 2007

Hi

Iam a RedHat/Fedora old-timer and wish to thank the Fedora team for the
official Live CD *gift* (ya, the zod wallpaper made that explicit;).
With a gamut of live CDs around, this one helps me feel at home again.

I have been looking for Live USB efforts off fedora and came across these:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2006-December/msg00033.html
and some notes at wish-list page inside official liveCD site (but
couldn't locate
it again).

However since my requirement was slightly different*, i ended up creating
a GUI install script based on tweaked initramdisk etc while retaining
core/rootfs packaging power of a fedora LiveCD(-creator etc).
In essence its just a liveCD to liveUSB install script in a package.

I  put it here for now:
http://noor.mubeen.googlepages.com/liveUSBfy.tgz

*from liveUSBfy/README
------8><-------
- It lets users experience the liveCD first; then by using this
package the liveCD
  experience can be installed on USB stick.

- Re-uses Fedora's mature init ramdisk/udev capability which help in optimized
  wait time for  USB detection during mounting USB root.

- It depends on robust livecd-creator etc tools to customize/base most of core
  contents including  rootfs packaging.

- Allows developers to customize the live USB to specific requirement by
  simply tweaking-in sections of install script.

I'd be glad to take comments/feedback.

Disclaimer: It has been tested by just 1 (rather two) "eye-balls".
There could be untested scenario lurking. Use it with own discretion.

Thanks again
Noor