[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 22:07:42 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 16:43:53 David Zeuthen wrote:
> I don't really get this... so you want to add 32-bit packages to a
> 64-bit live cd... just so they don't have to pull in 32-bit base
> packages (such as glibc) when installing a 32-bit app? What pieces of
> software did you have in mind?

I don't really know off hand, it's more about being consistant between the
LiveCD (+install) and what we do for a regular install.  I'd hate to see the
LiveCD experience drift more and more to the point that they aren't
comparable.  I really don't know what people will try to do with a LiveCD,
particularly an x86_64 one.

> So I guess I'm suggest to just install 64-bit packages and don't bother
> pulling in any 32-bit packages until they're needed. What's wrong with
> that?

Other than it is completely differnet from what we do for a regular install...
I really don't know.

> > > Btw, you didn't answer my question though- can you do package selection
> > > in kickstart based on what arch it is?
> >
> > I don't believe so.
>
> Perhaps that's something it needs to do. We're going to end up seeing
> size differences in ISO files for archs. For example x86 livecd may be
> 30MB smaller than ppc livecd; that space can and should be used for
> something useful such as more themes, more promotional materials or
> whatever.

I'd like to see some actual attempts at these other arches to see what the
size differences are before we go too far off into the weeds of trying to
define a different package set for each arch.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora