[Fedora-livecd-list] live DVD

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 08:19:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 13:54 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > It's a sparse file backing the file system so just make it 100GB (or
> > 2-32TB since ext3 supports that nowadays) and then resize2fs it down
> > before completion so it's approx 2-4GB larger than the payload in the
> > file. No need to add an option for this.
>
> I seem to remember something which makes resizing less of a good idea
> when you're shrinking.  But my memory is fuzzy on what it is now.
>
> You'll definitely take a hit on creation time if doing a significantly
> larger filesystem like this, though, as mke2fs and resize2fs aren't the
> fastest operations in the world.

That's true. Another reason it's useful if for livecd creators that
don't want to spend time compressing the image. So I added an option for
this along with other enhancements.

 http://git.fedoraproject.org/?p=hosted/livecd;a=commit;h=df22a8438021ad766c4e0469db0dde5729ecc010

so now you can do things as shown in [1]. From a warm cache, the minimal
live cd now builds in around 2 minutes if you use --skip-compression and
local repositories. That's pretty nice.

     David

[1] :

usage: livecd-creator [--help]
                      [--config=<path-to-kickstart-file>]
                      [--repo=<name1>,<url1> ...] [--repo=<name2>,<url2>]
                      --package=<p1> [--package=<p2> ...]
                      [--exclude-package=<e1>] --exclude-package=<e2> ...]
                      [--base-on=<path-to-iso-file>]
                      [--fslabel=<label>]
                      [--skip-compression]
                      [--uncompressed-size=<size-in-MB>]
                      [--shell]

 --help              : Print usage and exit
 --config            : Path to kickstart config file
 --repo              : Add / override yum repository
 --package           : Include this package
 --exclude-package   : Exclude this package
 --base-on           : Add packages to an existing live CD iso9660 image
 --fslabel           : File system label (default: livecd-YYYYMMDD-HHMI)
 --skip-compression  : Don't compress the image
 --uncompressed-size : Size of uncompressed fs in MB (default: 3072)
 --shell             : Start a shell in the chroot for post-configuration

 Examples:

  Create minimal live cd:
  # livecd-creator --config=/usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-minimal.ks

  Create minimal live cd and use local package repositories:
  # livecd-creator --config=/usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-minimal.ks \
                   --repo=a-dev,file:///home/user/core/RPMS             \
                   --repo=a-extras-dev,file:///home/user/extras/RPMS