[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 17:08:16 UTC 2007

> On Thursday 08 March 2007 11:42:21 David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Just to serve these two rather weird use cases [1] you're fine with not
> > making this fit on a 700MB. I don't think this is a good idea. Thanks.
>
> I don't have a good answer.  Either we cut out this capability of the x86_64
> platform, and create a case where the installed from LiveCD differs pretty
> dramatically from the installed from real media, or we try to find a way to
> make it fit, or pass on multi-arch LiveCDs in general.  Solving this for
> ppc64 is not going to be any easier, you can't just say 'you only get ppc64
> packages' as that is really stupid for that platform.

So I don't really think that the lack of secondary-arch rpms on the live
cd (no 32-bit packages for x86_64, (almost no) 64-bit packages on ppc64)
is going to create this horror picture where things are dramatically
different as long as our repos still contain the secondary-arch packages
and our tools, e.g. yum and pirut and whatever, is capable of pulling in
the deps. Besides, the live CD already differs from the installed set;
there's no OO.o to start with for instance.

        David