[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: patch review and move of livecd scm

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 21:23:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:

>> Here's a constructive idea: perhaps someone should investigate the price
>> difference on the cost of creating DVD media vs. CD media. To me it
>> sounds like you think it's zero. I haven't checked for a while though;
>> perhaps Greg knows as he is getting media prepared?
>
> Perhaps he does.  Lets CC him and find out.

Good thing I'm already on the list, as your efforts to CC: me at the wrong
address would have been a failure.  :)

There is a slight difference in cost between CD and DVD production -- but
any difference will be well within budget.  The issue will not be "which
will cost more to produce, a CD or a DVD?" but rather: "which is better
for our target audience, a CD or a DVD?"

>>> The functionality of our LiveCD will only get worse over time if we
>>> stick to CD size. Perhaps we do only DVD live images for multiarch
>>> platforms. The tool set should still allow for creating a single arch
>>> x86_64 CD, but that isn't something I want to publish as any sort of
>>> official Fedora release.
>>
>> Well, I can hear it's certainly not my call so I'll just be quiet.
>
> It's not my call alone either.  Ultimately it is the Fedora Board's call
> if we can't all come to an agreement.

Can somebody recapitulate the heart of the argument in, oh, a paragraph?

--g