[Fedora-livecd-list] Current desktop livecd kickstart config

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Thu Mar 22 22:31:34 UTC 2007

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:59:38 -0400
schrieb Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com>:

> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 22:49 +0100, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> > Am Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:18:30 -0400 schrieb Jeremy Katz
> > <katzj at redhat.com>:
> > > Things to note:
> > > * Just pulls in the init script by cat'ing it in the %post.  This
> > > is a tad messy, but functional for now.  Longer term, this should
> > > probably be in a package that gets installed for live CD images
> >
> > One good point (maybe the only one) for only using a kickstart file
> > and no additional rpms is IMHO that a normal user don't have to set
> > up a local repository for this rpm when he wants to master his own
> > cd.
>
> Yeah, this is definitely a good thing about this approach.  I'm
> waffling back and forth over which approach I like best.  Obviously,
> you could do either at this point, it's just a question of which
> seems the cleanest for us to do.

> > Or livecd-creator learns to use rpms directly (with path). :)
>
> A local repo isn't _that_ much worse to make than just building an rpm
> (cp to dir, run createrepo)

Ok. I forgot to say that this user also must set up rpmbuild. :)
Mostly I'm thinking about this for creating localized
KDE-LiveCD-Versions. We've discussed to outsource this to the local
communities. But then the most easy way to create such a cd would be
the best. To force them to set up rpmbuild and create a repo wouldn't
be it.

On the other hand: With RPMs we can included other files like different
backgrounds or maybe a configured home directory.

In short: I'm also not sure about this. :) Maybe a standard
configuration should only use kickstart but rpms will also be supported.

> > > * Don't do auto-login.  With the facebrowser stuff and gdm work
> > > that davidz has done, we want to let people choose a language,
> > > etc there
> > > * Right now is doing rm -rf /usr/share/doc/* to try to get to
> > > fitting. Even with that, we're still way too close for my level
> > > of comfort.
> >
> > Maybe it is possible (like on other livecd, eg. PCLOS) to put the
> > username as text somewhere in the background. Now nobody knows the
> > username or must guess it.
>
> The fedora user should show up in the face browser so you just have to
> select it.  But, the face browser only shows up at > 800x600.  I
> wonder if there's any way that we could get the face browser working
> okay for the 800x600 case.

Good to know. Only done a quick test in vmware (standard: 640x480)

> > Minor note: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/zz-liveinst don't put an icon
> > for liveinst on the desktop.
>
> Yeah, fixed with new anaconda built earlier today (xinitrc just runs
> scripts that end in .sh.  argh!)

I'm using anaconda-11.2.0.39-1. That's also the version on
download.fedora.redhat.com. With this one I get the error. Or is the
newer one just not synced to the repo?
And just FYI: It also works fine with KDE (except the earlier mentioned bug
with /etc/syslinux/desktop and the non-working reboot button).

Sebastian