[Fedora-livecd-list] F7 livecd login screen is confusing.

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 19:02:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I think it's pretty obvious.. but maybe you are right. I don't know.
> Perhaps the better fix is to change "Please enter your username" to
> "Click a face to start" in gdm; that would also work in the non-livecd
> case....
>
> Also, fwiw, the face browser is hidden in 800x600 because a lot of
> geeks^Wpeople wanted to test this in qemu/vmware/kvm. Maybe a lot of
our
> users do this too. I don't know. Anyway, realistically a lot of the
> reviewers are going to test our live cd this way so I think Ray's fix
> needs to be revisited. Ray?

well, maybe we need a livecd specific theme?  I guess that's the easiest
way to fix this problem.

For the livecd case, it might even be nice to just take whatever
username the user enters and create the user, give them sudo access,
etc.

We'd probably need some pam_newuser module or something to do that.

> ps. : This is probably more F8 material, but it would be nice to have
> live jumbo DVD that includes all of the GNOME, KDE, XFCE whatever live
> CD's. Then each "flavor" would have their own user with their own face
> in the face browser, e.g.
>
>  [GNOME Logo]   - Fedora GNOME
>  [KDE Logo]     - Fedora KDE
>  [XFCE Logo]    - Fedora XFCE
>  [E17 Logo]     - Fedora E17
>
> and users can even fast user switch between the desktops. Of course, I
> don't know how well KDE, XFCE and E17 supports f-u-s. Something to
keep
> in mind anyway.

If we do that then we'll need to hide Sessions completely because
Sessions would provide overlapping and conflicting functionality.

--Ray