[Fedora-livecd-list] Help needed running a process at boot time on livecd

Elias Hunt hunt at m2s.com
Wed Nov 28 23:04:45 UTC 2007

I'm not sure the specifics of what I'm requesting, so I'll cover what
I'm trying to accomplish and see if anyone can help me figure out where
to do it.

Our use of livecd's is for a custom appliance that stores data on the
local drive of a machine, but uses a livecd for the OS. This is to
prevent permanent modifications to the OS itself. As part of the livecd
setup we have a mount point pre-configured for the hard disk. Everything
works perfectly, if the disk is formatted as an ext3 partition. However
when setting up a new system or replacing a drive the boot process does
the typical "can't mount disk" error and prompts for the admin password.
At this point I have to log in and run a script that's on the cd to
partition and format the drive, then reboot.

What we want to get to is a point where if the booting CD detects an
unpartitioned/unformatted drive it will automatically run the script and
reboot itself, without requiring a user to log on. This is important in
the long run since most of our appliances are run headless.

I think this might be something that needs to be in the init process,
but my understanding here is limited, and I'm not sure exactly how to
determine the state of the drive and make the decision to run the
script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recognize this isn't exactly
appropriate for this list, but I'm hoping someone here will know about
this stuff, and can take it offline with me if it's not useful to others
here.

Thanks.

-Eli

--