[Fedora-livecd-list] Git/Rawhide vs. v009/F7 ?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Oct 7 20:13:03 UTC 2007

Tim Wood wrote:
> Two different recommendations have been posted on what version of Fedora
> to use (F7 presumably with livecd-tools 009 vs. rawhide and livecd-tools
> from git).  Rawhide and git (seems to me) to be a formula for a very
> unstable development environment.  But, livecd-tools 009 and F7 seem to
> be pretty out of date.  BUT... that's my guessing. Why one combination
> versus the other from someone in the livecd development loop?

I'm actually only a livecd-tools developer, I.e. the end results I'm
going after are merely getting patches applied, and enjoying that that
will help people out.  So given that caveat- my experience tells me-

What you said pretty much sums it up.  livecd-tools is still immature
and developing and improving rapidly (on average more than 1 git commit
per day over the past few months).  As such, the traditional wisdom that
F7+updates is 'stable', is countered by the fact that it is pretty
seriously old and different from git-head.

And rawhide should be approaching stable.

I recently did a completely fresh build env, using f7+updates, git
livecd, and then rawhide yum and iniparse rpmbuild --rebuild(ed) because
that was required to get git livecd working on an otherwise f7+updates.
  This is strictly anecdotal, and only works for people comfortable with
--rebuilding rawhide srcrpms on a stable distro.

> And how do you modify grub arguments for a livecd (besides doing weird
> foo on a created image...)?

I haven't used the feature, but my guess is that Jeremy has worked it
out to use the same bootloader options that kickstart understands.  But
of course I'm also guessing this feature is not in the f7+updates
version, but only git-head.

-dmc