[Fedora-livecd-list] possible bug alert: device-mapper: snapshots: invalid or corrupt snapshot

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Oct 10 05:40:40 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> I've been running into a bug, but can't yet rule out my own code, even
> though I really really don't think I could have caused it.

> Though if anybody is curious enough to remove the dd '2> /dev/null' and
> see if they get the 0 records in/out result, and hopefully can explain
> why in the world that is happening...  I'd be greatful...

There is just something about hitting that send button, that makes you
think of something you should have thought of before hitting it...

I never noticed the subtle difference between doing

dd if=/dev/zero

and

dd if=/dev/null

That completely explains that part of all my confusion (the dd stuff).
But it doesn't explain the bug that I can trip a fraction of the time
when rerunning the same qemu command against the same iso 10 times over.

I.e. what started that confusion, was me knowing enough in the emergency
shell to try manually rerunning the dmsetup create command, watching the
same 'invalid or corrupt snapshot error', then manually creating a new
overlay sparse file (but with /dev/zero because that is my habbit), and
then bizarrely noticing the 1024 byte difference in size between the two
files.  Then being more perplexed when I could run the dmsetup create
command against the new file and have it work, instead of fail.

-dmc