[Fedora-livecd-list] does Fedora-7-Live CD provide a way to upgrade existing FC

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Sep 5 02:43:29 UTC 2007

Colin Walters wrote:
> On 9/4/07, John Lumby <johnlumby at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> That's a shame, but thanks for the rapid response.
>

> If you're using Fedora as a desktop, I've found that mostly the OS doesn't
> matter and I can do upgrades just by copying my home directory.  The only
> thing I really change on the system is to enable sudo.  Google for "fedora
> upgrade copy home directory" for more information.

I personally advocate that, and coin the process "wipegrade".

Please note, that the aforementioned bug about root(/) being formatted
regardless of user-choice in f7-livecd, was discovered by someone who
had /home as a subdir on their / volume, and thought that it would
survive the installation, when in fact it did not.

-dmc