[Fedora-livecd-list] boot failure on VIA Epia M-6000 board

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Mon Sep 10 07:21:31 UTC 2007

After a lot of back and forth I finally managed to get a good livecd
image for my VIA EPIA M-6000 mini-itx board using a 1GB CF card plugged
into the IDE interface. The key tricks were:
  - compile a custom kernel that excluded the new libata and instead
contains the older ide drivers, also compile for the Cyrix-III processor
instead of i686
  - explicitly select i386 or i586 RPMs from the repositories where
necessary (e.g. glibc, kernel-headers, openssl, etc...)
  - remove the explicit loading hack for the sr_mod driver in mayflower

I'm attaching the kernel config file in case someone else wants to
replicate the set-up. The mayflower change consists of commenting out
the modprobe around line 410 of /usr/lib/livecd-creator/mayflower:

# FIXME: hack since sr_mod seems to fail to get loaded sometimes (#239657)
#/sbin/modprobe sr_mod

The kickstart I use for a relatively small set-up follows below. Note
the reference to the locally built kernel which you may have to change.
I hope this helps someone...
     Thorsten

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone US/Pacific
auth --useshadow --enablemd5
selinux --enforcing
firewall --disabled
skipx

repo --name=a-local --baseurl=file:///root/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386
repo --name=a-dev
--baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/
#repo --name=a-extras-dev
--baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/i386

%packages
bash

kernel-2.6.22.4epia
#kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i586
kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i586
kernel-headers-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i386
glibc-2.6-3.i386
glibc-common-2.6-3.i386
glibc-devel-2.6-3.i386
glibc-headers-2.6-3.i386

syslinux
passwd
policycoreutils
chkconfig
authconfig
rootfiles

wget
logrotate
ruby*
rubygems
syslog-ng
openssl-0.9.8b-12.fc7.i386
openssh
openssh-askpass
openssh-clients
openssh-server
curl
gcc*
zip
unzip
bison
flex
compat-libstdc++-296
subversion
autoconf
automake
libtool
vim-minimal
yum

# the following are needed to generate the iso filesystem
nash
cpio
gzip
findutils