[Fedora-livecd-list] mayflower exec < /dev/console before /dev/console exists???

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Sep 13 17:42:58 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 12:08 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Is this a bug that /dev/console is being referenced before it is
>> created, or is there some obscure magic relating to /dev/console that I
>> am unaware of?
>
> Looks like a bug to me.  But at the same time, it looks like a bug
> that's not been affecting anything.

That's pretty much my reaction to.  But what I really want to know is
what its trying to do, and why the bug doesn't matter (academic
curiosity primarily).

Would the technically right(tm) thing to do be-

mknod /dev/console c 5 1
exec < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1
mount -n -t tmpfs -o mode=0755 udev /dev
mknod /dev/console c 5 1
mknod /dev/null c 1 3

?

(and no, I really don't want the mknod in the initramfs cpio, at least
until I can have an enhanced cpio that can create archives containing
device nodes, without requiring root privs...)

-dmc