[Fedora-livecd-list] Where to turn off filesystem writing spew..

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Sep 22 21:48:15 UTC 2007

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> Jon Steer wrote:
>> I'd like to make the livecd create a little quieter and not have it print
>> out the block writing like below.
>>
>> 32539/32769  99%[===========================================================
>> ]-
>>
>> I can't seem to find where this is written? I added a quiet  argument to
>> mkisofs but that apparently wasn't it.
>>
>> Where can I turn this off?
> That seems to be when it runs the squash (line 900-903). I don't,
> however, see a way to make mksquashfs be quite. You could add
> stdout=subprocess.PIPE, but then you need to deal with the stdout buffer
> or the call will hang.

-no-progress appears to be the option to mksquashfs that you are looking
for.  I too have been annoyed by its output in a logfile.

I thought about throwing together a patch to finally implement some kind
of --verbose/--debug/--quiet to livecd-creator.  But I'm not exactly
sure where the progress bar falls into that.

Perhaps the correct way would be to somehow detect if the livecd-creator
output is going to a terminal, and only do the progress bar in that
situation.  I know this is possible, as a bug I had in cleanupDeleted
dealt with the fact that fsck (in the absense of a flag) behaved
differently based on whether or not the output was redirected.

-dmc