[Fedora-livecd-list] non-vfat msdos usb sticks (was related to squashed osmin naming)

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Sep 24 03:53:55 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Is it really worth supporting msdos-nonvfat filesystems?  Is any stick
> that isn't meant to be capable of holding an mp3 with a beyond 8.3
> filename really worth supporting?  Do sticks/cards often come
> preformatted that way?  (  maybe they do... :(  )

I just tested what I thought was the case- you can have disk fdisk-ed as
non-vfat msdos (6 - fat16), then mkfs.msdos it, then mount it as vfat,
and all is well.  Is there a case when that can't be relied on?  I.e.
perhaps when it isn't linux doing the mkfs.msdos?

The case you mentioned was for osmin.squashfs.img->osmin.img.  Assuming
vfat can be relied upon(??), I can see that maybe having value before we
move it under /LiveOS.  But once under /LiveOS it seems reasonable to
stick with the nice long intuitive/descriptive filenames.  And thus in
the rare case that that subdir is perused when mounted non-vfat, it's
just OK that it clearly has stuff with long filenames that has been
converted to the ugly dos 8.3 version.

-dmc