[Fedora-livecd-list] Minimal development environment on Livecd

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 9 09:43:26 UTC 2008

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 22:41 +0100, James Gallagher
> wrote:
> > I think the LivecCD with an extra 20mb of devel
> rpms
> > would fit on a cd with overburn enabled, easily. I
> > think k3b, nero, roxio etc can all easily do an
> > overburn. Why not release the standard LiveCD and
> > another one with devel rpms included and a warning
> > that overburn will be required?
>
> Overburning isn't something that you want to try to
> support.  We have
> enough problems with flaky drives and media burning
> 700 meg images as it
> stands :(
>
> And "just add another image" is actually a pretty
> expensive proposition
> in terms of hosting, testing, etc.  And it then
> isn't entirely obvious
> how a user is going to know what the "right" thing
> to download is.
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

Ok, thanks for all the replys everone, I think I
understand the philosopy a bit better, and maybe it's
not as big a deal as I made out. The aim to get the
drivers working out-of-the-box on Fedora is very
sensible and I hope it makes good progress going
forward.

I agree that selinux, totem, gnumeric probably
shouldn't go because of reasons posted (I was a little
tongue in cheek on my criticism of totem)

Still not convinced about Evolution, and all those
games?? ;)

Anyhow, with the livecd-iso-to-disk package I suppose
it is easy for people to burn the iso to usb and then
add the extra packages using yumdownloader or similar
from an internet connected machine, in fact this is
the easiest solution for the eee pc. It would help if
there was a group defined for the miniminal set of
devel rpms, since the "Development Tools" group is
huge, so it's fiddly to individually get the 9 rpms
required for the minimal environment. Perhaps I should
post to another list to suggest this, which one do you
reccomend?

Once again, thanks for your considered replies, and I
wish you all well for the upcoming release

James