[Fedora-livecd-list] Kickstart templating and localized spins

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Tue Apr 15 05:09:03 UTC 2008

I thought Jeroen was proposing something that exists apart from the
livecd-tools distro itself?

Whether he is or not, the existing kickstarts all seem to make
assumptions that can't be overidden (e.g. package choice).  For what
I've been doing, I usually find there's one or two assumptions that make
the standard kickstarts unusable.  What's he's proposing appears to move
some (all?) of those problems up the chain several spots.

Tim Wood

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 17:30 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>> fedora-live-base.ks
>>    Includes everything needed to make a live spin work.
>>

> How does this differ from fedora-base-desktop.ks which we have today and
> which is used as the basis for the Desktop, the KDE and the XFCE spins?
>

>> fedora-live-desktop.ks
>>    Includes everything needed to make the 'desktop' spin concept work,
>>    but no localization. Includes fedora-live-base.ks.
>>
>> fedora-live-desktop-<lang>.ks
>>    Includes localization bits (lang, keyboard, timezone,
>>    @<lang>-support). Includes fedora-live-desktop.ks.
>>
>> Maybe create fedora-live-desktop-default.ks to provide the default
>> compose the way it is now (localization is en_US, includes @*-support).
>>

> Ummm, the configs for the way things are done today _have_ to exist in
> some form.  Otherwise, it kind of breaks the ability for us to, you
> know, release the distro ;-)  I really don't like -default, though.
> 'base' has been pretty good, but -base-base-desktop seems odd :)
>
> I'm not against the general idea, although it's really too late to make
> changes to the configs we use for Fedora 9.
>

>> Although possibly a futile point at this moment; A stock Fedora 8
>> compose from the kickstarts currently in livecd-tools' GIT repo
>> (including updates!), and one that only includes @dutch-support (new
>> model, also including updates).
>>

> Sure you're not building x86_64 images?  As that looks pretty close to
> the x86_64 size.  If not, then ahh, the fun of the ever-growing distro!
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

Tim Wood, CLP, RHCT
719.338.7484 (tel)

The Data Wranglers
Web, Database & more since    since 1994
www.datawranglers.com