[Fedora-livecd-list] Kickstart templating and localized spins

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 16:47:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 12:43 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 17:30 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>    I really don't like -default, though.
>
> It can go away... The implication though is that the officially released
> version would actually be a localized version. I intended -default to be
> non-localized, yet at the localization (higher) level so that the
> released spin is valid for everyone. Would the bits in '-default' be at
> a higher level, a localized spin would inherit all the "default"
> localization bits (@*-support).

No, I get the point... it's just naming that's tricky here

> > 'base' has been pretty good, but -base-base-desktop seems odd :)
> >

>  From where I'm sitting, 'desktop' as it is right now is a spin concept
> (fedora-live-gnome.ks if you will). I'm sure there's bits all "Desktop"
> spins need (now livecd-fedora-8-base-desktop.ks): XFCE, KDE and "GNOME"
> (now 'desktop') come to mind.

A true GNOME spin would be a different beast than the desktop livecd we
do today.  But I really don't want to have this lengthy and pointless
bikeshed discussion again.

> For now though, all spins are desktop
> orientated spins and hence there's no problem including the bits that
> make a desktop oriented spin in the base kickstart. Would non-desktop
> oriented spins rise to the surface, I'm sure that within a level we can
> distinct between certain branches. Right now I'm thinking
> 'fedora-live-base-desktop.ks' vs. 'fedora-live-base-runlevel3.ks' but I
> would rather not commit to a model now only to find out it's invalid at
> the moment the first new spin concept comes along.

Yeah, a lot better to wait and deal with it when it comes up and there's
a real user rather than trying to just do something in advance of users.

> >> Although possibly a futile point at this moment; A stock Fedora 8
> >> compose from the kickstarts currently in livecd-tools' GIT repo
> >> (including updates!), and one that only includes @dutch-support (new
> >> model, also including updates).
> >
> > Sure you're not building x86_64 images?  As that looks pretty close to
> > the x86_64 size.  If not, then ahh, the fun of the ever-growing distro!
>
> These were x86_64 composes, the point was the difference between a
> "default" spin (including @*-support), and a localized spin.

Seems about like I'd expect then.  Also, note that, eg, the KDE spin
already today is non-localized due to the space requirements for the
kde-i18n/kde-l10n packages

Jeremy